Household Hazardous Waste

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Where Can I Take Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

Improper and illegal disposal can contaminate our drinking water, impede waste water treatment plants, pollute local waterways and endanger workers. It can also lead to penalties and fines.

What is Hazardous Waste?

  • Polishes & cleaners, Oven cleaners, Drain openers, Lighter fluids, Unwanted medications (no Controlled Substances – contact your pharmacist if you are unsure if your medication is a Controlled Substance), Syringes, Cosmetics,
  • Fluorescent bulbs/tubes, Rechargeable or alkaline batteries, Mercury containing items (thermometers, thermostats, etc.)
  • Fungicides, Insecticides, Herbicides, Pool chemicals
  • Latex & oil-based paints, Paint thinner & stripper, Wood preservatives, Grease & rust solvents, Wood & metal cleaners, Glues & cements, Photo chemicals, Antifreeze, Transmission fluids, Gasoline & fuel additives, Carburetor cleaners, Batteries, Used oil & oil filters

Town of Yountville Corporation Yard

The Town has created a Household Hazardous Waste Flyer for your reference! button_view-the-flyer (2)

The Corporation Yard is located at 7501 Solano Avenue (the road is located between the Fire Station and the Golf Course).

The following are the only items accepted:

  • Paint
  • Electronic Waste
  • Motor Oil and Oil Filters
  • Antifreeze
  • Batteries
  • Fluorescent Tubes and Bulbs

This location cannot accept: appliances, pharmaceutical waste or other household hazardous wastes.

It is Illegal to dump or abandon other hazardous waste at this site. Violators may be subject to imprisonment and/or fine. (California code HSC 25189.5). All activities at this location are monitored by video camera.

View the Town’s Corporation Yard Flyer for more information!

Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility

The permanent HHW collection facility is located at 889-A Devlin Road, off Hwy 29 in south Napa. It is for safe and legal disposal of unusable hazardous products. Please remember to pack products carefully so they won’t mix or spill and transport them in the trunk if possible.  The facility accepts all types of household hazardous waste except:  Radioactives, Explosives and Ammunition.

Households: No appointment required; no fee.

Businesses: Appointment only; fee for service.

Open every Friday & Saturday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

For highway safety, there is a limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of household hazardous waste per trip.

For more information call:  1-800-984-9661 or 707-259-8608. Or online

Up Valley Temporary Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events

Upper Valley Waste Management Agency (UVA) sponsors twice yearly household hazardous waste collection events. Typically events are held in April in St. Helena and in October in Calistoga. These events are held on one day, with set hours, and residents can drop off their household hazardous wastes at no charge. To request information on these events contact UVA at 707-259-8330.

Hazardous Waste Disposal for Businesses 

Businesses that generates less than 220 pounds or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month can dispose of their waste at the Permanent HHW Collection Facility. Appointments are required and there is a fee for this service. For appointments and information: 1-800-984-9661. Protect your business and employees by disposing of unwanted, unused, and out-of-date hazardous wastes properly.

Businesses that generate hazardous waste are required to obtain a Hazardous Waste Generator Permit. Call the Napa County Environmental Health Division at 253-4471 or visit the Napa County website ( for information.