Flood Insurance Information for Residents

Many mortgage lenders require homeowners to provide flood insurance or proof of removal from a flood zone.  

What is a flood zone? 

Flood zones are geographic areas that the FEMA has defined according to varying levels of flood risk. These zones are depicted on a community's Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) or Flood Hazard Boundary Map. Each zone reflects the severity or type of flooding in the area.

 What can the Town provide?

 As of November 2009, a policy has been instituted for the following. When a resident receives a notice from their insurance carrier, the Town will furnish them the Base Flood Elevation for their particular parcel. If they choose not to carry flood insurance, the property owner can take this Base Flood Elevation to a licensed land surveyor who can determine their Finished Floor elevation. 
FEMA also requires that the Lowest Adjacent Grade on their parcel  be determined. This will need to be determined by a surveyor, and the burden for determining these elevations will be borne by the individual homeowners. 

The fees for this service will vary, and it is recommended that several surveyors be contacted for this cost. Please be advised that if a resident decides not to carry flood insurance, it is their decision, and not a guarantee that their home will not flood. It is also necessary to understand that even after an Elevation Certificate or Letter of Map Revision (LOMR-F) has been filed, the lending institution has the option of requiring flood insurance from a homeowner. The LOMR-R is an attempt by the homeowner to avoid flood insurance, if they choose. 

In summary, the Town of Yountville will furnish a Base Flood Elevation when requested and will advise residents in obtaining an Elevation Certificate or LOMR-F, with the information supplied from the private sector. 

Additional Resources and FEMA website links.

FEMA Map Locator:  This link will take you to the FEMA website where you can enter your address and verify your location within the flood zones.  This links will also list any existing LOMR or other flood zone removals for an area.  https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home

What is a letter of map removal (LOMR)?

This link will take you to the FEMA website defining what a LOMR is.  FEMA LOMR